PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Recce Cameras and Mk3 Flying Helmet
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2008, 15:18
Double Zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F-95 Camera

Blackadder1A,

The F-95 was carried obliqueley in the Harrier GR1 & 3 in the port side of the nose, and in the Sea Harrier 1 & 2 on the starboard nose - side.

Also used in various recce' pods, and there was the F-100 export version which didn't always have a vacuum film -plane facility.

Very much a product of it's day, to put it politely !

Heavy, tricky in some cases to fit magazines without snagging the film, and only good results in perfect conditions, certainly not if the pilot was jinking about and being inconsiderate enough to stray from the pre-supposed speed & height...

Then again, when I was told the supposed spec' of what was planned for 'future' - now maybe current- recce' systems my heart fell for different reasons, someone had apparently been reading too much sci-fi...

I was involved indirectly with the relevant computer controlled recce' trials & to say I was less than impressed is to put it very mildly - I suppose more likely they as usual had managed to B.S. The Ministry with a financially great contract, with any assistance to our guys on the ground or in the air a by-product at best - not difficult with the right contacts I fear.

DZ

Last edited by Double Zero; 12th May 2008 at 21:21.