PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Research on the BAC 1-11 electrical systems
Old 7th May 2008, 14:21
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi Chugalug2,

You may well be right, at one point, and I did say "finally". I see the Djibouti photo shows evidence of the hideous hush-kit. [Could anyone ever detect any reduction in the noise as perceived by the human ear?]

Remembering the chronology is so often the problem, isn't it? The 146 was originally DH146, then HS146 (Hawker Siddley, for the uninitiated); so not sure BAC would have wanted to defer to it at that stage. Later on, it certainly rings a bell.

Not sure the MD80 series is a valid analogy for the BAC 2-11 and 3-11 proposals, though. The Spey got up to about 12,000lbs thrust. Wasn't the 2-11 going to use 2 tail-mounted engines of about 40,000-lb thrust; possibly RB211s? Even if not, I'm fairly confident that the 3-11 was of comparable size and configuration to the later A300, which started off with CF6s of about 50,000lbs. By that time, the RB211 had run into its carbon-blade debacle, which had delayed and crippled the L-1011 Tristar; and bankrupted RR.

[Apologies to Qu'est-ce-qu'il-dit and the moderators for the (further) thread drift.]