PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Steve Hislop killed in helicopter accident: threads merged
Old 7th May 2008, 00:06
Scissorlink

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have to fly in it and don't want to stay home and drink coffee

-Use RainX so the water beads off
-Slow Down
-Always make sure you can see a ridge in front before you leave the one beside you
-Always have an Out, don't get stuck up a valley and can't turn around
-Land take the door off and throw it in the back, that way when it gets REALLY bad you can stick your head out and also you get incredible visibility slightly forward and out to the side. Water on bubble gives some nasty illusions
-Picking up wet pax get them to take off there raincoats so bubble doesn't fog up quick
-Get the demister/airflow going hard, rather be frozen then not see
-Remember its easier to go up to a pass then get back down, come back down go slow,get the hillside nearest to you and make sure you dont fly away and lose reference
-be careful going over a ridge that the wind doesn't push you up into the cloud, crossing at a 45 at least helps... can see something on the otherside before you cross/commit
-Watch the cloud isn't slowly getting lower and pushing you down into a wire filled enviorment. Also flying a valley you don't know and hitting a wire
-Land
-Stay at home

These worked for me in the past found most of it out my yakking to guys who have forgotten more then I will ever know, must be lots other ideas out there