PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indigo Or Air India... Which is a better option??
Old 7th May 2008, 00:03
4engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HI all,

i think the guy is asking a valid question, if you dont have the answers atleast donot be sarcastic. Doesnt help!!

Anyways, from the posts that i have seen, I dont think any of the people who have replied to this post, work at Air India.
I am an FO at AI.

I am amazed at the stupidity of people who assume that being a government carrier, the job will last you a life time. Just look around the world and see what happened to other government airlines, example Varig, and Alitalia. In case the naive dont know, half of Varig's pilots are currently in AI and AI Express!!
as for Alitalia a few months ago the government was ready to sell it off to any buyer for the token ammount of 1 Euro!!.

So getting back to the post, i dont think it is a no brainer in favour of Air India.
For one it will take you for ever to get command; as on date we have 10 year co-pilots, who are eligible for command, also 80 first officers who meet all requirements for command upgrade, but for the last one year no command training.

Also flying the B 777 as your first aircraft may not be the best idea. It will take you about 2 years to get to the right seat, till then you will just be doing RT!! Not the best way to start your career. Also when you do get finally released, being on a long haul aircraft you will barely get any Pilot Flying sectors, as opposed to an average of 3 to 4 Pilot Flying sectors in a domestic airline. I personally feel, that being your first type rating, this will be your chance to learn handling of a jet. Being an FO on the big wide body like the B 777 for your first type rating will give your ego a boost, but wont do you much good professionally.

Hope this helps.

Please PM me with your specific queries, i will be glad to assisst.