PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Centre Line
Thread: Centre Line
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2001, 03:40
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Captairpox:

Sorry you can not afford a camcorder and also that you think that I use brain teasing titles to describe my flight training.

I am however, "not" confused in any way with regard to my disagreement with the " Look at the far end of the runway " method to judge landing height and center line tracking.

Any flight training whether it be ab-initio or advanced should be taught using the most correct and safest methods to accomplish any manouver including landing and center line tracking. I believe that instructors are admonished to teach it right the first time.

So lets examine another senario.

For the sake of where to look during a landing flare and hold off to wheel contact with the runway how about this approach.

Fly down the runway at 10 feet at cruise speed ( Lets assume the runway length to be 5000 feet ) One thousand feet before reaching the end of runway pitch up into a right climbing turn (Being careful to allow enough height gain to keep from dragging your right wing. ) We will for the sake of simplicity here use a bank angle of no more than 60 Degrees, when the aircraft is 45 degrees to the runway you just pitched up from you roll the aircraft wings level and count four seconds while gently lowering the nose to level flight to prevent gaining excessive height above the runway. At this point you briskly roll the airplane into a left turn with bank angle not exceeding 60 degrees, at 90 degrees to the runway and now in level flight you begin lowering the nose to start the decent for your landing, as the runway comes into sight you will be in a position to complete the landing during the latter part of recovering from the turn. Your angle of bank at the flare will now allow enough clearance from the runway to prevent dragging the wing. However the aircraft is still turning and the landing is completed on the left wheel while turning to meet the center line, at this point the aircraft will be lined up with the center line you will run out of aileron effectiveness ( authority ) and the right wheel will settle onto the runway with the aircraft straddling the center line. Now that you are properly lined up on the center line and have the aircraft under perfect control all that is left is to allow the nosewheel or tail wheel to settle onto the runway center line..

Note:: I have neglected to mention power settings for simplicity.

At no point in this very simple manouver did I look at the far end of the runway..

The reason being I could not have performed that manouver looking at the far end of the runway, or at any other point except where the aircraft was being flown to.

By the way landing in a precisely controlled turn to touch down is easier to judge than with the wings level.

And oh-by the way my last question in my previous post was not meant to be condensending nor flippant, I was looking for someone to suggest where I should be looking, cause it could be really unhealthy to be inverted at ten feet trying to cut a ribbon and be confused as to where you should be looking. ( Here is a hint, I can assure you it is not the far end of the runway.)

And remember...

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no.