PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Centre Line
Thread: Centre Line
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2001, 16:36
CaptAirProx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Catdriver, I agree with Kermit. I have never done ag flying so can't comment on that. However, by looking to the far end of the runway, as you get very close to the tarmac the angle of the runway flattens quickly. This is the point to fly level, close the throttle and then whilst still looking ahead for attitude control, you feel the aircraft down using your peripheral vision allowing the runway edges to slowly under your control come up around your ears. This stops you ballooning or shoving it on hard. So yes do look down the runway and yes do look down below. BUT not directly. If you do most pilots will lose attitude control and end up shoving the nose in first. Ouch. This looking ahead was described to me as the sight line swivel. Can't explain it here, need a white board! It does not matter how long the runway is. In fact the longer the better because it forces them into staring into the distance helping their peripheral vision.

Of all my students that have ever attempted to look to one side or lack any peripheral vision due to incorrect glasses have serious trouble pulling off a safe landing. So from my humble back ground my theory works. And thats the theory given from an ex CFS bod. PS It works in aicraft large or small, unless the cockpit (747) is very high where you will not see the sight line swivel as obviously. Thats why they have rad alt calls to tell you when to flare. But you can still control the hold off looking ahead and using peripheral vision.

Back to the original question, a lot of students/pilots during a crosswind landing/takeoff, see the aircraft weathercock and start putting in the wrong aileron because natural instinct is to steer like a car. This makes the into wing lift causing the weathercock to get worse and they then find they need unnaturally large amounts of rudder to correct and just panic thinking they have put to much rudder in. Correct answer, aileron into wind and keep straight with rudder. Simple. It may also boil down to the fact that with no centreline markings, one has to either look into the distance on a far object and keep straight on it. Or, use the peripheral vision to keep the edges of the runway symetrical. Comes back to the original point of my response.