PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates - Wannabes & Recruitment IV
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2008, 17:14
nikuska

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Hi guys and gals!
I attended an Open Day and I made it to the Final interview!!!!!. I would like to share my experience with you because thanks to this great thread , I was prepared for it.Fortunately there werenīt many people on that day so they made it assessment day. Some of them were dressed in jeans, sweaters or tshirts. These people didnīt get through the first stage. Smile all the time and as you said: be yourself, speak with people there, make new friends and enjoy it as I did.
START: 9 a.m. -We had to fill in the forms about how did we find out about Emirates Open Day and some personal information. It started at about half an hour later. We went inside and the recruiters ( 2 very nice ladies – Christina from Greece and Alana from Australia). They started to present EK and Dubai and were asking Qs like: When did EK start? What other companies are there in Emirates? New buildings and sport in Dubai? Why do you want to be a CC? Etc.)Boys who knew all the info and were speaking all the time didnīt get through the first stage. Then we were watching video about EK and Dubai and after the video section we were asked to give them Qs. I asked them: After the three year contract, is it EK who arranges to extend your visa or should I apply for the new one? Iīve read on pprune that itīs a good Q because it shows that you are planning to develop a career with them.There were some people who didnīt listen and asked the Qs which were already answered by recruiters or in the video. One girl asked if she could take her husband and child with her. Mistakes again...Then Alana asked who was under 21 and who had already attended an OD or FI with EK. Then we were asked to handle one by one our CVs and pictures. They didnīt ask anything at that stage.
1st GROUP DISCUSSION: We were given numbers and they divided us into 2 groups and we were asked to build a new airline and discuss the name, aircraft, etc. Some people were speaking one through another, trying to push their ideas through loudly (of course they didnīt pass this stage). I was trying to listen what they said, I made notes and I said one or two suggestions.Then Christina asked me (I donīt know why) to stand up and present our airline. Donīt look at the recruiters, look at your “colleagues“, speak clearly and loud enough. During this short presentation I also asked my group Qs- Am I right? Did I forget anything? BTW-Iīve read somewhere on pprune that you shouldnīt cross your legs. I was the only one who didnīt cross my legs but the others also passed so I donīt think it really matters.

REACH TEST: We were asked to approach the wall one by one, take off our shoes and reach the poster on the wall on tiptoes (212cm). Alana asked me what was my current job and if I enjoyed it.
INDIVIDUAL PRESENTATION: In the circle we stood up again one by one and we had one minute to present our greatest achievement to the others (it was already my second presentation in front of them). I was speaking about my Master Degree and my scholarship abroad. Then we had a very short brake (after approximately three hours).
1st ELIMINATION: We went back inside and Alana gave us letters as we were leaving the room. I was successful and very happy because half of the people didnīt get through. There were some very nice girls who didnīt pass this stage.Some people travelled thousands of kilometres only to attend this day and they didnīt get through I really donīt know what are they searching for...I think nobody knows.
ENGLISH TEST: It was pretty easy for me. There was a story about one CC with 5 multiple choice Qs. Another task was to match the word from the text with its meaning (f.e. reliable, considered, ticking off, take-it-or-leave-it). Then we had text signs and we had to match them with their interpretation (f.e. Take 2 pills 3 times a day. A)You must take 3 pills a day B) 4 pills C)6 pills). We had also cover letter nad again 5 multiple choice Qs. The last task was the essay. The topic was: If I could rule a country, which country would it be and what would I do? I wrote two pages. The whole test was for one hour which was enough.
2nd ELIMINATION: Only one girl didnīt get through the English test. Strange because she lives in England for years. This girl got to this stage although she had a tatoo on her ankle and she didnīt bring her CV. She was writing her resume there with a pen on her knees and she got so far!!!
GROUP DISCUSSION: Again we were divided into 2 groups. I was in the first group (2nd group had a half an hour brake). We were seven in my group. We were given papers with the task and we had to read it loudly : You had an emergency landing somewhere in a remote area.Some of your paxs need a medical care. Choose as a group 5 things you will necessarily need to survive. There were these things: defibrillator, oxygen bottle, mobile, water, food, unknown suitcase, blanket, axe, emergency torch, first aid kit. We chose mobile, first aid kit, water, oxygen bottle and blanket. We had to explain why(they asked Qs - one by one). The boy who was against the othersī opinions didnīt get through. I tried to listen and when I dinīt agree I said: thatīs a really good idea but donīt you think we could choose this because... Then they called us one by one and asked how many languages do we speak and if we have any distinction marks on our body-like tatoo or birthmark or scar. I was really worried at this stage because of my birthmark on my neck but Christina said it was ok. After this stage we had finally little bit longer brake so I could go for a coffee.
3rd ELIMINATION: 6 people had to go home. There were 11 of us who passed and we were said that it was the last elimination before FI so if from this stage we donīt get through, we can reapply only after one year. It was around 4 oīclock and I was already very tired.
PSYCHOLOGICAL TEST: We got a golden package and invitation for the final interview. We could choose the day and time (it was next two days).Mine was the next day.We had to fill some more documents (Qs like : Do you smoke? What religion do you belong to? Are you willing to serve alcohol? Can you swim?etc.). Christina told us details about what to bring and how to dress for our FI. And finally, the psychological test. I must say this was the worst thing because I was so tired that I wasnīt able to concentrate myself. There were 180 questions. There were constantly the same questions but differently asked so I had to be careful to tell the truth. Sometimes I didnīt understand because my brain was burning so I just ticked :uncertain. There were also logical Qs in between but all of them multiple choice, f.e. Clock is to time as tailor to A)scissors B) cloth C) tape measure
Odd oneīs Qs : Which number doesnīt belong to the others: 7,9,13 etc.
This stage really made me sweat although they said there were no true or false answers.After this we could go home. It was 5 p.m. I exchanged the phone numbers with the other candidates because I want to contact them while waiting for the “golden call“ and I went home to fill the documents they gave us.
They also asked us to bring many things like 2 photocopies of passport, photographs (1 full body, 6 passport and 2 casual), photocopies of certificates and letter of employment. Itīs better if you prepare all this things in advance because as it is a weekend I couldnīt bring them with me so I need to send them to Dubai which will extend my waiting

FINAL INTERVIEW: Christina (Alana wasnīt there) called me inside 15 minutes later. The girl before me had to do the Raven test (which is something like IQ test). I didnīt have to do it, I donīt know why.I was very nervous but when I came inside, Christina was so nice,that I forgot about my worries. I had a nice time there, we were only speaking about my previous job, I was sitting in front of her behind the table, smiling all the time. She asked me to give her the documents, asked me about my previous jobs and gave me Qs. She always wanted an example. I was thinking for a while, then I gave an example or I said: I donīt think I have ever been in that situation. We were also laughing, at the end she shook my hand, said thank you and I asked her some personal Qs. It lasted only for half an hour. The girl who had to do the raven test was there for one hour.
Some Qs I can remember:
Have you ever had a deadline?
Give me an example of a situation when you had to be diplomatic to your customer.
When you had to say no to the customer
When your colleague dissapointed you
When you did anything extra for your customer, what was it
When you had a conflict with your boss/customer/colleague
When you made a mistake at work and how did you feel
When you didnīt agree with your colleague and did you say anything?

Now I must wait 4 or 6 weeks until they let me know, lol I hope this gonna help u and we will meet one day in Dubai. I know it has already been said one hundred times but remember: KEEP SMILING , THEY ARE WATCHING YOU ALL THE TIME AND BE YOURSELF!!!!!Good luck to u all!