PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The First Step into Aviation
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2008, 10:55
Mr. Hat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flyer, having done the expensive type of training with degree ect i can say that it gave me no real competetive advantage in gaining actual flying jobs. No sour grapes i've got the jet job. Just telling you what i learned in 13 years.

If i were in your shoes i'd try for the qantas cadetship first. Yes i know its expensive BUT trust me going into ga and years of mucking around ain't cheap either. So long term i'd say that its the best value for money if you can get it. And if you can't at least you'll have a heads up on their tests for when you get the call later on.

If the cadetship does not work then go to a small aeroclub with you older type of instructors that have been there and done that and not some up and commers that just see you as another hour toward their qf second chance.

Obviously if you can do this whilst living at home then great if not then dont restrict your search to just nearby. You need to do what you've done on this forum and ask questions of people that have been there and done that. You learn from their mistakes. Build your contacts and get word of mouth information about quality training from people that are experienced. Don't listen to people that are selling you something and don't bother too much with the students at the place because chances are they are still trying to convince themseleves that they made the right decision.

Sure i have said differently on previous occasions but I've learned over time that all you need is a spot on on the qf cadetship OR a quick and cheap CPL to get you up and running.

Good luck (and don't forget you are in the best moment of your life enjoy it - the flying will come - dont be in too much of a rush - drink beer have fun ect)