PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would the cancellation of FLynx be the end of the Army Air Corps?
Old 6th May 2008, 04:36
NURSE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe this would have been all sorted if the Civil service had not been bullied into accepting 5 year planning of the politicians had was thinking on a longer time scale.
AAC should remain taking in helecoptor recce/attack/laison and tactical lift. Its capabilities should be expanded to be able to lift most light role brigade kit like light gun. Heavier stuff could still be the realm of RAF.
To that end some more capable aircraft should be employed like AW139 or 149. Wasn't 149 beeing proposed as Puma replacement? and is Puma HC2 happening as last i heard from mates who work in helecopter buissness was it had been dropped as there was no funds available?
As to "Joint" helecopter command it should be that but with an Army/Marine lead ethos and an airforce lead air policy.
I agree that the Army needs to look at devloping pilots careers and not see tours with the AAC as a "Career Break" and maybe the NCO aircrew role could be opened up to the other services as well on the same terms that Army NCO's can apply.
I can see "increasing the AAC capabilities" will be a blue touch paper issue however when on ops has having extra capicity/capability been a bad thing?