PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is there going to be any jobs left for me? :(
Old 5th May 2008, 19:21
AWACS_bhoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"I think you've taken a meandering and wasteful path to an airline job thus far and I am highly concerned about your decision to join the RAF as an 18yr old fighter controller. Do you know much about the trade and its future and your service career prospects?"

To be honest I confuse the hell out of myself sometimes. I am the kind of person that gets an idea in their head then tries to act straight away on it, but with regards to the RAF I have taken a very different approach because to be fair its a dangerous job and the threat of me being killed during my service and never making the cockpit job has crossed my mind many times.

I have no regrets about the money I have spent so far on flying because I have loved every second of it and would do it all over again if I could.
As far as fighter control is concerned I didn't put it down as my second choice and then go on to accept it not knowing anything about it, come on I know I’m Scottish but I’m not that stupid! I have had various visits to Boulmer and Waddo even getting the chance to go through some basic scenarios on the simulators and although it isn't as exciting as flying I still get a real buzz from it and enjoy it. As far as career prospects and opportunities go, how many airline pilots do you know that get to experience half as much as any serviceman or woman? No two days in the forces are the same and that's what appeals to me, civilians have life experiences soldiers experience life.