PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is there going to be any jobs left for me? :(
Old 5th May 2008, 18:52
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 164 Likes on 63 Posts
I've heard many different things about peoples career choices over the years. This one would rank as one of the most odd. You've spent £13k on basic flying training and GA flying at the age of 17 and you've signed up for a full service RAF commisioned role that is ground based all because you desire to be an airline pilot.

Fair enough. No criticism. You are unusual and have sparked an ill tempered debate - no harm in that, they are often the most informative.

Lets just clear up the age thing. Decades ago some airlines with long seniority lists wanted recruits to do 15 years in the RHS and then 15 years in the LHS and thus have a fully rounded career. Zip forward to today and the picture is very different. You've got a large and fast growing fractional jet scene where acne and youthful looks ain't what the client is looking for. You've got most of the LoCo's who just want a name, a telephone number and not to pay for your type rating or give you a pension. If they get 5 years out of your they've had plenty of return on their very limited investment. If you were 55 they might think twice - 40 is nothing.

You've also got the age discrimination law which was a massive change last year that most people totally missed or massively underestimated. It is now just as illegal to not employ you because of your age as it would be because you are black or gay or Muslim or female or disabled or a member of a trade union.

I think you've taken a meandering and wasteful path to an airline job thus far and I am highly concerned about your decision to join the RAF as an 18yr old fighter controller. Do you know much about the trade and its future and your service career prospects?

I wish you well.