PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in Florida???`
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2008, 18:38
Slipstream86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry for going off topic sparx!

Alpha and Dave, I took the PPL completion course (35hrs+ 5 exams for me) and finished in 15 days. Its always going to depend largely on the individual as to how long it will take you, and as I mentioned earlier, the weather can restrict QXC opportunities if you are unlucky.

All in all, I thought it was a very good value course and would recommend it to anyone willing to put in the effort. The staff there are great, they will bend over backwards to make sure you complete on time. Some less confident students complained about the lack of briefs/debriefs but what do you expect for the price, they have to cut costs somewhere. You will be charged for 3 hours ground school for your XC brief (this is a JAA requirement) but you will be given all the info in less than 30 mins.

As for the aircraft (Im assuming you know why the Liberty's are grounded) you would be better off doing it in the 150 rather than the Warrior. I was tempted as its only slightly more money for a much better plane, but theres much less availability.
Didnt notice any major maintenance issues (few dodgy radios, some funny brakes) thats about it.

CPL students, they only got one complex single (an Arrow) so if it goes tech ur buggered

Hour builders - bear in mind that if you plan on takin the aircraft away from KOMN and beyond its range to return. You will only be remunerated for 1/4 of the cost of the fuel you buy away from base. Results - some very bored hour builders who were sick of going to the same local A/D's everyday.

One more thing, If you plan to do a PPL there and stay for some hour building or whatever, remember you still wont have a license even after you complete the PPL course. You will still be flying under an instructors solo endorsement and you are subject to OBA's student wind limitations. Best bet is to return to the UK and get ur liscence straight away.