PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is there going to be any jobs left for me? :(
Old 5th May 2008, 18:21
AWACS_bhoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys thanks firstly for all the replies, the harsh and the nice, it is appreciated and I’m not one to storm off in the huff if I don't like what I am hearing, I take it in and do something about it.

Firstly I was left £33,000 from my grandmother 4 years ago so about £7000 has been spent attaining my PPL and Night rating and a further £3000 on my IMC .Obviously to scratch 220 hours in my log book I’ve had to spend a fair amount around £3000,but I’m young and I wanted to fly so I used the money that was there so I have around £20,000 left which I am going to use to further my flying.

The situation with the RAF is, as I previously said I have always wanted to be an airline pilot but the cost's are high. As a hobby I decided to join the air training corps just to do something aviation related. I then started really getting in to it and the military structure so I thought, how about join the RAF as a ME pilot, scrounge my training off them then head off to the airlines. But the more and more I got used to the structure and way of life of the military the more I wanted it so when I was told I was too tall to be a forces pilot I thought I’ll still join the RAF and get all the benefits and way of life then later in life I can join an airline that way I get to live two dreams (greedy I know but who doesn't want to live their dream?) Right now I can honestly say I want the RAF more than flying but I still want to be a pilot whether it's an instructor or an airline pilot LATER in life.

You are all saying I should get out and work and save up the required funds, I understand that but maybe you are forgetting I will actually be getting paid in the RAF so I will be saving. I know there are plenty of schemes out there etc but I will never ever take out any sort of loan no matter what it is for, I am dead set against it so I am going to be doing it the hard way and self funding.

Any further advice is gratefully appreciated.