PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Label Handoff and Frequency Change Question
Old 5th May 2008, 15:06
bekolblockage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ANSA

HK uses Raytheon AutoTrac II system
According to the book, HND is proposed and causes label to flash on receiving Sector
Receiving Sector ACCepts the handoff which causes label to flash on hand-off screen
Aircraft is instructed to change freq.

Attempting to handoff when label is outside the viewing area of receiving Sector causes error mesage "off-screen at receiver", however this can be overridden by forced handoff function.

Unfortunately many controllers use the forced hand-off as the default way of operating and hand-off way too early (up to 80 miles!) . The frequency transfer may or may not follow immediately. This often causes some controllers to think "hey, what did I just accept?" when they are legitimatley trying to accept another label that is visible - and nothing appears to happen.

Many controllers from other parts of the world here just shug this off as "big-deal, its just the label", but in my opinion handing off the label too early not only negates what I consider is the important connection between thought process and mechanics but causes some ambiguity about when the aircraft will call. The concept of Sarwatch on frequency transfer is not well understood nor challenged here.

Hope that makes some sense to you.

BB