PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to pass PPL exams
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2008, 14:47
Obs cop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nav420,

There are 2 ways of passing the PPL exams. The route you choose depends really on your ability to learn and your ultimate aims.

If you simply want a PPL and have no commercial aspirations then I would suggest study through either Trevor Thoms or Jeremy Pratt's longstanding series of books. Then use revision aids of the PPL confuser and OAT media (if you have the cash spare!) before the relevant exams. In going down this route you should then be able to identify weak areas to swot up on. Get into the Airlaw early as it is a dry subject and some organisations prefer you to have done it prior to first solo although I believe it may not be a legal requirement (I stand to be corrected).

If you intend to go commercial then I would ignore the confuser all together and work hard at Thom or Pratt. A good understanding of the PPl subjects will give you a better grounding for ATPL studies. Merely using the confuser has habitually tempted people to learn the answers to the questions, which in my opinion makes the next step all that bit harder.

The ATPL study is 650 hours of work if completed distance learning so if that is your passion then look to use your studies for PPL as a base level of knowledge from which to develop.

Oh and the best way to learn IMHO is little and often as even the interesting stuff becomes dry and difficult to lodge in the brain in long stints.

Regards,
Obs cop