PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Steve Hislop killed in helicopter accident: threads merged
Old 5th May 2008, 13:52
scottishterrier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inquiry

Thanks guys for the input regarding throttle control.

Frog,

My point was that on a helicopter the throttle is controlled by the left hand. I simply dont see the connection. I have been riding sports bikes for years and before I even started flying. I did not have any difficulty with the operation of either. I was using my bike every day during my basic flight training, although it stood in the garage for some time once I had qualified which looking back was an unbeatable thrill.

Bear in mind the witness to whom you refer was quoted in the report, there was however further witnesses at the FAI who did hear noise of other traffic and saw the Chinook.

You are spot on regarding my looking for an altenate reason, I do not have time for sheep who will follow the flock and not think for themselves. It is without doubt that I have a personal interest in this case.

I do not doubt or challenge the accuracy of GPS information if it interpreted correctly, Differential GPS is some way different to the capability of a skyforce moving map .
Instinct and conditioned learning, Im sorry,my whole point is he was conditioned to operate a throttle with his right hand on a motorcyle and he was trained on an Enstrom using a left handed throttle and his dominant hand was his left.

Do you think when Jonathan Palmer was doing his helicopter training he was predisposed to applying right pedal when he wished to accelarate and left to slow up? , or that the late Colin Mcrae had a tendancy to heel and toe in the turn ? did Barry Sheene have trouble ?

I have resisted the temptation to add to this thread in the past. I was however motivated to repond to Mr Barclay, and now the FAI has completed Im happy the debate is reopened

ST

Last edited by scottishterrier; 5th May 2008 at 14:08.