PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Birthday snaps
Thread: Birthday snaps
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2008, 12:44
LookingNorth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm glad Tim is happy to receive some criticism; I'm not carping for the sake of it. 'Dark' and 'dramatic' are two different beasts. Black shadows hiding any detail are not really very interesting unless there are highlight areas to give contrast, so dark means just that. I'd go so far as to say many of the shots are noticeably underexposed (I'm guessing a new convert to digital? DSLR bodies have a tendency to deliberately underexpose to retain highlight information without blowing whites), and some simple levels work in Photoshop would save the day (as per above post, though the clouds have gone rather too blue).

The Nimrod shot - well, a second or two later and the background would have been much better. I know how tricky air to air is in a jet, I spent my first three such trips barfing and came away with about 3 useable shots each time from several rolls of film. But I'll never show anyone the gash ones!

Anyway, a quick Google found the book in question - Fighting Force - with photos from Jamie Hunter, and frankly Tim your comments about it being a disappointment don't really reflect the content, which is pretty damn good all-round.

Not carping, are you Tim?

Edit: I sometimes hate editing but we cannot allow one ad at the expense of others - sorry.