PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK security and air crew
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2008, 10:39
call100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"As usual though, it is the Aircrew that moan the most"

Maybe the aircrew do, but - we are stuck in an aluminium tube 6 miles high up in the sky for several hours at a time and cannot just get up and go for a walk through the terminal and buy refreshment from the various shopping outlets that airport staff have the luxury of doing on a lunchbreak or when the shift is quiet.
The security can take my tube of toothpaste, mouthwash, carton of yoghurt, bottle of water or whatever, but as doubleu-anker points out on the wall of the flight deck is fire crash axe!! We also have a bottle of fluid eyewash more than 50millilitres. If a pilot wanted to threaten the safety of an aircraft he has two hands to point the aircraft where ever he so wishes!!
I also agree with fireflybob when he says "Also as aircrew we visit many different airports continuity between the security at airports around the world!!

Sorry to burst your bubble. For some of us getting into the terminal for anything is a luxury rarely achieved. Security checks are not only done in the terminal access points.
No one is saying its fair or necessary, only that we all have to go through it more times than aircrew during a working day. I know you have an axe in your cockpit, but that is small potatoes. I go through with a firearm and I am still searched and have to put my equipment through the scan.
Yes it would be nice
if all airport worker users got together and took action. However, we know it ain't going to happen. So in the mean time we make the best of a bad situation. what's the point of letting it spoil the rest of your day?..

Last edited by call100; 5th May 2008 at 18:46.