PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Label Handoff and Frequency Change Question
Old 5th May 2008, 08:38
AirNoServicesAustralia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok there have been a lot of viewing but not much writing.

I am really interested in how this is handled the world over. As I said in Oz and the how it is planned to be done in the UAE is,

1. Handoff Label.
2. Label Accepted by other sector.
3. Transfer Aircraft onto next frequency.

It seems that Sth Africa do it a different way,

1. Handoff Label and transfer frequency at the same time.
2. Other sector accepts label at a time of their choosing after that.

I personally think that means that the handoff of label is irrellevant as my understanding of the use of handoff of label is to propose a handoff and if that is clean with other traffic and I am in a position frequency or workload wise to accept the aircraft, I accept it, and as such expect the frequency transfer to follow.

Reality is BlueSkye the transfer of frequency and the forgetting to do it, is no different to remembering to transfer the aircraft now. I mean you still have a strip, the only difference now is you have a flashing accepted label to remind you to do the transfer which you don't have now.

On the handing off of a label outside the screen range of the receiving sector. I think transfers of frequency are done way too early by a lot of ATCOs here and if the receiving sector can't see it on their screen yet it is too early.

I would like to know from other units around the world if they do it the first way, as in Oz, or the second way as in SA, or in some other way.

Thanks for all your help in working through this issue.