PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2008, 00:07
walter kennedy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cazatou re your post #3217:
As there was no paperwork raised for their work and the reason it was requested made no sense, just what is it you think the techs were doing?
You should ask such techs what was involved in fitting said equipment in HC2 Chinooks in the following year – I believe the task was as straightforward to such techs as, say, fitting a GPS to your car would be to you – plug it into the cigarette lighter and stick it on your windscreen?
The system was just about self contained and designed to be an easy fit/ as a simple service mod to an a/c like an HC2 that had a suitable bus.
It was intrinsically accurate in range (no calibration required as part of fit) but the simple UHF antenna fit only gave an accuracy of +/- 4 deg in bearing – which was all that was required anyway in its roles.
I refer you to some of Tecumse’s recent posts regarding whether equipment is always fitted according to the book and how willing the authorities are to being open about it.
The “poor” weather you refer to has been described by myself in some detail in previous posts – I would have thought that a geographically fixed piece of such weather that could have been depended upon at that time of year on a familiar site not much off route would have been an ideal place to demo such equipment – think about its use.
Irrespective of whether such specific equipment was fitted or not, the analysis shows that deliberate turn to the right on a bearing reflected in the course selector setting of the handling pilots HSI which, along with the other factors mentioned in previous posts, indicates an activity which one would have thought deserved some attention.
PKPF68-77
You seem like the ideal person to take a camera with you on a boat just off the Mull lighthouse this summer on an evening when the usual prevailing wind is blowing – do you like fishing?