PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Diana Barnato Walker MBE & Liveryman of the Guild of Air Pilots
Old 4th May 2008, 22:45
Stevemcmli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read Diana's book with great interest particularly (if I recall correctly) her story of landing a Spitfire on Smith's Lawn (now a Polo Ground) in Windsor Great Park and walking home to her parent's house in nearby Englefield Green - all very local to me.

The news of Diana recent passing reminded me of my own encounter with one of these amazing ladies. Back in the mid 60's as a spotty Air Cadet of 15 summers I and some fellow cadets would spend weekends "helping out" at Booker in return for the odd flight. On one occasion I was offered the left seat ride in a Terrier of Airways Aero Assocations the right seat being occupied by an instructor. The instructor turned out to be (from a 15 year old's perspective) a rather posh and formidable middle aged lady by the name of Joan Hughes. Looking back it was one of the aviation highlights of my life and if I had only known then of the exploits of the incredible men and women of the ATA I may have savoured the moment much more.... but then I was 15!!

How many are still around? Is Joan Hughes still with us?