PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Air Clues" and the Stalling Ducks/Geese/Swans
Old 4th May 2008, 22:31
exscribbler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From the number of posts indicating clumsy flying by pigeons, it strikes me that there may be either a training issue at the OTUs or an equipment specification problem. This morning's display inclines me to the view that the fault lies with the OTUs in that the pilots are over-confident of the performance of their personal equipment and thus take too many risks. (Isn't that always the case?)

Back to the story. This morning, as I was making my first coffee, I noticed our resident wood pigeon (also Fat Albert - I wonder why?) making a rapid but short take-off from the lawn, having generously refuelled on the raisins put out for the blackbirds. He was a little too close to the garage for real comfort and consequently was trying very hard to gain altitude, presumably concentrating on clearing the garage roof. His acceleration was helped by the lawn's downward slope but that feature also meant that he needed more height. As he climbed out, it rapidly became obvious that he was going to be very close to another fixed obstacle in the form of the washing line which he would have to fly over if he was to clear the garage. Flying beneath was not an option as not even his formidable TOGA power would enable him to avoid the brickwork.

Although for safety reasons the washing line is orange in colour, hit it he did, despite deploying airbrake and undercarriage and attempting a 180-degree stall turn to return to the runway. He caught the line somewhere around his starboard wingroot and, completely losing control, crashed heavily behind the garage. On investigating, I found him to be undamaged except in the dignity area and shaking his head, Albert took off downwind, landing carefully in a tree to attend to his flying surfaces and thank Our Lady of Loreto...

Last edited by exscribbler; 5th May 2008 at 20:04.