PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SSR, RAS, ATSOCAS et al
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2008, 22:28
Spitoon

Originally Posted by 2 sheds
Referring to use of the ident feature for identification, the Good Book says that "Aircraft displaying the conspicuity code are not to be identified by this method" (my italics). One would infer that this only refers to aircraft squawking A7000 - for obvious reasons.
2 s make a good point. I have always treated the other designated conspicuity codes in the same way as A7000 and would offer in defence AIP ENR 1.6.2 para 2.2.1 which says 'When operating at and above FL 100 pilots shall select Mode A code 7000 and Mode C except:
(a) ...
(b) when circumstances require the use of one of the Special Purpose Mode A codes or one of the other specific Mode A conspicuity codes assigned in accordance with the UK SSR Code Assignment Plan as detailed in the table at ENR 1-6-2-4 to ENR 1-6-2-8
(c)....'

which seems to lump all the conspicuity use codes together (although, admittedly, it's not talking about identing traffic). And I guess being able to quote that makes me as sad as leuven! On the whole, though, I'd be disinclined to ident any target wearing a conspicuity code with any of the SSR methods - but as 2 s points out, I think there's plenty of room for interpretation if you want use SPI on one of your local conspicuity codes.

leuven, I think, is suggesting that MATS Pt 1 is saying that if you have SSR then you must use it to ident traffic rather than PSR methods. I hadn't thought about it like that before but it does seem to be what the good book says! Personally, I'll use whatever techniques suit the situation .

Having gone through the introduction of SSR at a unit I worked at - although some years ago - I think you'll find that you quickly discover ways of working within the rules that make life easier for you.