PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qnh, Qfe, Qdm.....?
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2008, 20:51
old,not bold

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Is my memory correct that in the days when men were men and ATC Controllers knew their stuff, a QGH approach involved the Controller calling for a series of transmissions which, seen on his VDF equipment as QDMs, enabled him to give a series of heading and descent instructions to place one on the glidepath.

He would bring you overhead, and then outbound on the runway reciprocal, as I remember it, descending from 2000' to 1000' on the QFE, then a level procedure 180 degree turn, then a further descent on the glidepath until you saw the runway (or, presumably, reached the MDA, or hit the ground).

It would have been the Controller-controlled version of a VDF approach, I guess, in which the pilot calls for successive QDMs, or was it QDRs. I've still got my little plastic VDF approach cheat wheel.

Or something like that; I think I've missed some important details.

The Q denoted a whole series of codes used with key transmissions which stuck, when voice took over, as a simple clear shorthand that everyone understood and still does, mostly.

There was a story that the legendary Sywell controller (early 1960s) could handle 9 aircraft simultaneously on QGHs.