PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to pass PPL exams
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2008, 19:03
chris-squire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Air Pilots Manual's are really good. Skim through them, do the questions at the back and then turn to the Confuser. I've got Nav left to do but thats worth leaving until Im actually doing Nav flights. A fellow student have attempted it after nailing the material in the books and yet failed the exam. He resat it last week without any further revision but after completing 2 Nav flights and he passed (92%). Its about the only PPL subject that is best learnt by actually doing. Although having done my first Solo flight yesterday after 18 hours, Comms is now second nature. Not a very testing subject I grant you, but actually doing it makes it even easier! Infact, the more I fly the more all the subjects fit together.

I start off by completing the pre flight paper work, which involves checking the weather and completing the Mass & Balance calculations (Performance & Planning, Met). Then go out to do the walkaround (Aircraft Tech). Following start up the first thing I do is contact the college dispatch and tower for taxi clearance (Comms). Then taxi off to another apron for Run-Up's and finally take off into controlled airspace (Air Law and Op's). Haven't planned a Nav flight yet...thats soon though!

My point being, the more I fly the more I see how all those subjects fit together to make up the stuff you need to know. The confuser is fantastic and its really helped me. But don't use it as a replacement to the text books!!! My instructor seems to ask more questions each flight. If your instructor does the same and you've passed the exams but can't answer any of them it will show that you've studied the questions not the material and generally they wont be a happy bunny! Just a friendly word of advice.

Good luck with it guys!