PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Steve Hislop killed in helicopter accident: threads merged
Old 4th May 2008, 16:29
scottishterrier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inquiry

You are correct.
I have considered the fact that historically Robinsons have a history of mishap due to poor weather.
Historically it is the less experienced who have pushed the limits of themselves and the capabilities in an un stabilised machine. Unfortunately these have happened to be mostly in Robinsons.

The GPS information merely tells where the occurence was in the previous period with limited altitude information due to a number of factors.
It does not tell what exactly happened nor does it record the visibility conditions.

Let me ask you all, and this is directed to pilots who operate Enstrom B47 HU296 and also 212/412 's with the governor failed or off.

In the report the AAIB goes some way to explain the operation of the manual throttle.
The operating sense of the throttle twistgrip requires the left hand to be rotated away from the pilot (ie clockwise, viewed from the front) in order to manually open the throttle. This is the conventional sense for a helicopter throttle as it enables the wrist to naturally rotate the throttle open as the left arm is raised to increase the collective setting, when operating the throttle manually.
WHY
He goes further
[quote
However, the operating sense is opposite to that of a motorcycle throttle.
[/quote]
He adds
Several instructor pilots reported that
pilots, and in particular motorcyclists, operating this type of helicopter throttle control commonly did
not find the direction of manual twistgrip rotation required in response to a rotor RPM excursion to be instinctive.
Now we all or at least most of us know how the throttle operates. The reporter states that the trottle operates a natural motion in the left hand but claims would be unnatural or not intuitive to a motorcyclist. Do the flyers of the previously mentioned types operate the throttle intuitively or even instinctively? I have flown all of them and believe operation is indeed instinctive.

Why the connection with motorcyclists ? Well as it happened this unfortunate man was a former British Super Bike Champion, 11 times Isle of Man TT winner whos throttle control by his right hand was without challenge. Yet give him a throttle to operate by his left hand however natural the operation and he will have difficulty ??! I think NOT.
The man also happened to be a CORRIE-FISTER or for those south of the border LEFT HANDED .

Scooter,
Low hours PPL(H) + dreadful weather = CFIT/UFIT
The problem here is that witnesses on the ground disagree with the fact that, as you choose to put it, DREADFUL WEATHER.

The facts are In this case the pilot delayed his flight due to the weather on the previous afternoon/evening. His judgement was indeed correct at this time.

Last edited by scottishterrier; 4th May 2008 at 17:38.