PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anyone recruiting?
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2008, 16:05
Flintstone

You could elect to buy a type rating if you wanted. Then you might have to be prepared to pay for the next one too because you and others like you have sent operators the message that pilots are dumb enough to do so.

"But it gets you ahead". Really? I've never paid for a TR and I'm not doing too badly thanks. In fact had I done so I'd have been about £7,500/$15,000 out of pocket for the first one, £15,000/$30,000 for the second and the same amount for the third. Airfares to and from the States (let's go cheap) £800 a time then hotels, car hire and meals for an average course length of twenty days.............mmmmmm.......add twenty......that makes.........carry the five.......times three....... plus interest at current rates....... over ten years......... £59,540!

Let's call it a round £60,000 because I like round numbers and I was underestimating a bit back there.

So if I'd spent £60,000 on type ratings I could now expect to find myself in the left hand seat of a large cabin bizjet whereas by not buying any type ratings I now find myself in the left hand seat of a large cabin bizjet.

Just explain to me again how buying a type rating is a good thing?