PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Starling - downwind approach
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2008, 13:45
topendtorque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ever since being able to reach the pedals of my dear old dad's farm tractor and thus be soloed onto the very important farm task of continuing in ever decreasing circles with something behind that looked real meaningful, I can remember being impressed with, pluvvers, doing limits turns, especially just at dusk, with the bottom wing juuuusss dragging the dirt, and pee wee's doing stall turns, but NEVER into their own downwash.

A fact i only appreciated years later, after I tried a few torque turns back down into my own downwash. sacre-bleu!

Since then I've learnt to appreciate the antics of hundreds of correllas that roll onto their backs, just like fighter aircraft do, but in a frenzy and from an altitude of only two feet, (when they're severely frightened by the rapidly approaching big metal bird that is) and pull FULL power straight into the ground.

Another speccy type is of the long necked shag variety, boy oh boy, downwind, into wind, crosswind, it matters not, when they hit the water at terminal velocity, without the undercarriage down, it's kinda spectacular.

But for those nature lovers amongst us I never managed to gallop wild horses off cliffs like one bloke I know.

Nowadays I jess fly in ever decreasing circles while a mob of real meaningful animals ( in a dollars sense that is) submit to my tender ministrations.

Oh, and yeah I don't tend to spill my coffe much these days.