PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2008, 13:08
MamaPut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil

NEO,

I'm sure you're right, but in more ways than one. The Pengassan demands were that Exxon had to improve pensions and pipeline safety, and reduce the expatriate and casual labour it employs. They agreed to go back to work because XOM agreed to all of those demands. That sets a good precedent for the next industrial action Pengassan decide to take as well. Far from having shown that they have the heart for winning a fight with the Nigerian labour unions XOM have shown how weak they really are.

But I'm sure that with all the major oil companies having announced new record profits this quarter, and the example shown by XOM, your MD will be rehiring all the nationals he's just had made redundant and improving the delightful international standard luxury hotel in which you're lucky enough to reside . Have any more Legionnaires joined your ranks lately ? Several friend have told me that the new redundancy policy is paying off in that it increases the level of fun and interest in Lagos, wondering where the new drivers will end up taking them . It must give a lot of confidence knowing that if you're ambushed on the way into work you can totally rely on the new drivers to look after your interests and try to drive you out of trouble, not just run away and abandon you to your fate . Never mind, I'm sure that you have every confidence in the MOPOL looking after you eh?

At least in Bristow you know who your managers will be next month (well, apart from the new MD of course ) while CHC don't even know if they'll have any managers in Nigeria next month . Word is that all will be revealed next week - and of course that Nigeria is now the world's least corrupt country and the last elections were totally free and fair