PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus vs Boeing
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2008, 06:49
Hardass56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Templar,
I detect a case of the Devil’s advocate in you. As a fellow Devil’s advocate, perhaps I may respond!
From Boeing to Airbus 330/340, I find various good points and bad points. I need time to think of good points for the AIRBUS family.
1. Great VLS indication, and far better than B767 (absolutely ignorant about B777). I love it in relation to bank, config, speedbrakes, and G loading ( I try & avoid aerobatics if pax on board).
2. Surprisingly good low altitude performance! But crap as you get into the higher altitudes. However this is justified by Airbus’s so-called [OPTIMISED] philosophy (French left-bank academics at work!)
3. Nicely integrated FMGS, but no doubt on par with B777 and inferior to Gulfstream/Falcon.
4. I do not think Airlines (e.g. Air France, Lufthansa, China Eastern, Emirates, Qatar etc. would give a flying f**k if you had a tray or not! So that is not part of the equation. In fact, the tray tends to spill my champagne into my Lobster coz Airbus did not have the expertise to design it to be level!!
5. What is interesting is whether there is any feedback from the Control Columns / Thrust Levers. The opinion is divided in this respect based on the accident record.
6. Does point 5 have any effect on pilots when under extreme stress as a result of Upset/ Extreme change/low experience on type?
7. Massive tiller on Boeing designed for wimps with limp wrists transitioning from Airbus. Very good foresight on Boeing’s part!
8. Regarding the Airbus tiller, I normally play with my balls my every hour, so I have no problem handling the tiller.
9. Regarding the excessive airflow, my Training Capt suggested I was a stupid f**k for not being able to turn it off. Perhaps your trainer was more subtle and gentler than mine!
10. Excellent sunshades taken from Citroen - absolutely superior - no question!
11. Regarding the seat recline, I must admit that the Airbus seats are PURRRFECT for studying the overhead panel thru one’s eyelids - tho my FO insisted that it was PURRRFECT for him too.
12. My company has insisted on removing the chair armrest due to consistent complaints from the flight crew that they were too comfortable.
13. My company also insists on us knowing the flap speed limits - absolutely untenable - we are fighting this point in the Labour Courts.
14. My company does not have a problem with MCP distance since we do not have a policy of discriminating on the basis of one’s arms’ length. We have been actively recruiting in the southern hemisphere.
15.I find it bizarre that on a 4-eng aeroplane (A340), a 2-eng failure can result in a dual Hydraulic loss, resulting in a manual gear extension and loss of Nose-wheel steering with a landing commit point whenever the gear is extended! I would have thought that with a 2 eng failure, Airbus would have designed the systems to support the pilots’ workload rather than loading them up.
16. I would suggest ignore EICAS coz Airbus systems fail with regular monotony, so sit on the edge of your seat all the time waiting till you discover the fault on ECAM.
My initial humble opinion. Standing by for the inevitable arrows in my back!!
HA56