PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Steve Hislop killed in helicopter accident: threads merged
Old 4th May 2008, 06:31
212man

Received 355 Likes on 199 Posts
historically Robinsons have a history of mishap due to poor weather
No, inexperienced non-Instrumented rated pilots have a history of mishap due to poor weather, some in Robinsons, some in other rotary types and some in fixed wing types. In fact, the mishaps are not due to the bad weather - they are due to poor decision making with regard to the poor weather.

Conjecture and second guessing
Last time I checked, GPS memories tended to be pretty objective and accurate sources of information.

AAIB seek to condemn him
They do not 'condemn' him - that is your subjective view of the AAIB's inevitable conclusion.

I also believe the AAIB investigator is ex MOD !
Strangely enough, there are many pilots out there who have had both a military career and a civilian one, and who are therefore endowed with a breadth and depth of experience considered highly valuable. So, you object to the AAIB employing the most experienced pilots they can recruit, and, incidentally, who will continue to operate every few weeks with a civil operator to maintain currency?

You are exhibiting the tendencies not of a terrier, but of Al Fayed

The report Stinks !
Rather than running around saying he avoided a fast jet/Chinook/UFO* (*delete or add other objects as desired), it wasn't his fault and it's all a big cover up, why not spend some of your energy campaigning for better education amongst private pilots for subjects such as practical weather assessment, cockpit management (I mean practical while on a navex etc, not CRM) and decision making. All commercial pilots are regularly checked and trained, private pilots are not. Or lobby for better IF training in the PPL(H) syllabus, or something constructive and helpful that may prevent a future occurence.