PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Carb ice checks - How often?
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2001, 16:52
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

When my wife was my girlfriend (still is, I suppose - I mean before we were married) many moons ago she had a Mini Clubman. It was an awful car in many respects (remember BL in the 70s?) and that suffered carb ice regularly.

The worst aeroplane for carb ice I've flown is the L4 Cub with a 65 horse Continental.

The Chipmunk has 'warm air' rather than 'hot', and I always put it into 'warm' as soon as I've taken off and leave it there. RAF Chippys were permanently wired to 'Warm' - but they had nice long runways! (actually the power loss isn't that great).

The Yak has a 'single point fuel injector and auto mixture device' which puts the mixture into the supercharger chamber, from where it is distributed to the 9 cylinders of the radial engine by inlet pipes. That can suffer from carb ice, particularly at low power settings. I've even had the engine cut on a damp morning due carb ice while doing the pre-flight checks.

You can tell when the air's moist if you are driving a Yak - you get vapour trails off the prop tips ;~)

SSD

[ 08 November 2001: Message edited by: Shaggy Sheep Driver ]