PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Steve Hislop killed in helicopter accident: threads merged
Old 3rd May 2008, 19:32
scottishterrier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inquiry

Ally,

What I meant was that there would be no Radar record of those aircraft in the area. There were infact aircraft booked to or through the area of the AAIA during the period of the incident.

I have considered the fact that historically Robinsons have a history of mishap due to poor weather. The most recent I recall was the two aircraft who inadvertantly flew into IMC near Pole Hill.

It is the testimony of the witnesses on the ground whos information should be accepted and who have been experiencing FJ's in the LFA which has been a contentious issue over the years.

The AAIB went to great length in their report to explain the downside of a teetering rotor system in a low G situation and the why the rotor would strike the tailboom. They were very good at likening the damage to that found on other incidents that were more likely due to inadvertant IMC.
There is also the possibility that over control due to a rapid avoiding manoeuvre or even mis handling.

See AAIB Report

Two fast-jets were booked into the Low Flying Area (LFA) encompassing the accident site.
No apology necessary !
ST