PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "break, Break"
Thread: "break, Break"
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2008, 13:55
AirNoServicesAustralia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys don't waste your breath!

The common language thing has been argued on here again and again, studies have found again and again that two languages on the one frequency does reduce situational awareness of some pilots and has been one of the main contributory factors into at least one major accident, but more likely multiple accidents.

95% of the worlds aviation community realise this, whereas the other 5% will continue to argue their case and will never admit defeat.

I would suggest that next time you are flying in Quebec or France and you hear a waypoint in a french R/T call that you are also flying to, request the information of that flight, that is, what level are they and when are they getting there, and explain that you are asking for this information because you were unable to understand the previous call. If enough pilots did this maybe the practice would reduce. Probably not, but it might make the point required.

Singapore whatever your name is, it's not about a lack of respect for a culture or a language. It's purely about safety. Maybe they should have made everyone learn Swaheli, and then made that the standard aviation language. The point is it is safer for a pilot to hear on his frequency all calls and know what is being said, for example XXXX cleared to land RWY30 Left. This will certainly get his attention if he has also been cleared to land RWY 30 Left. Not a great help though if that call is made in Russian or French and the other pilot doesn't speak those languages.

As I said before, this has been argued on here over and over again, and the minority will never concede their way is less safe than the rest of the world so I guess I have just wasted my breath.