PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Victor cockpit visibility?
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2008, 12:03
BEagle

Received 315 Likes on 114 Posts
Very true. But with the demise of the Valiant, the need to introduce further Victor Mk1 tankers became an imperative. Then the Mk2 saga of politics and defence cuts, Blue Steel and Skybolt pretty well sealed the fate of the Victor as a bomber.

I understand that the original HP design for a Mk2 Victor tanker was rather better than the Woodford design for converting B2s to K2s?

As for the nuclear role of the Vulcan post-68, I don't know how much emphasis was given to the secondary conventional role in later years? Certainly on 35 we didn't have the role - instead our secondary role was the boredom of boat-spotting in the tedious MRR role. I suspect that the defence chiefs weren't quite so 'purple' in those days - which probably helped to maintain the RAF's strategic bombing capability until it was thown away with the demise of the Vulcan post-82.

At its peak numerical strength in Dec 62-Apr 63, the UK's deterrent force consisted of the V-force with no less than 22 squadrons of aircraft - and 20 Thor missile bases each with 3 missile pads.

Whereas today.......

At least we got to fly some pretty iconic aircraft, Arters!