PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying clubs in the North West
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2001, 20:28
poetpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Barton has been around since 1928 - longer than Sleap.

Not many GA airfields around where you can land and be in the City within such a short time - and not pay a fortune in fees & time.

I've flown from there since 1974 and despite Committee shenanigans from time to time, & the bumpiest runways in the UK, it's still a better place to fly from than most in the NW (IMHO). If I want to use hard runways, sure I go to BPL, but my costs & taxyng / waiting time at the hold are minimised at BTN.

09 climbout - yep, the Mooney landed on the playing field. to the left of the climbout path. Gear up, no-one hurt.

20 climbout incident with the Rallye - he stalled/span in, in very marginal conditions, it wasnt an engine failure incident. There's a golf course to the right that's available for such emergencies.

I wouldnt like to tempt fate by saying that there is a safe exit on every climbout, but if you have reasonable flying skills & judgement, it's safe enough at BTN.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking ANY other airfield in the NW, but please don't damn BTN unnecessarily - the club maintains around 1000 members, 100 aircraft and is a damn sight healthier than many clubs and schools.

It's also still got an air of flying as it used to be before GA went all professnial

...and dont take that as saying its unsafe, becaause I see just as mnany incident/accident reports from "proper" airfields as I do at BTN.

Long Live BTN!!!