PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blackpool 3/2/07
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2008, 20:34
HappyFran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

May be its thread drift, I’m not sure what David Walkers original objective was.

I use Pprune for information, education and entertainment, (sounds a bit like the BBC ).

I think Bose X made the point about the responsibilities of PIC very clear…and very repeatedly..I don’t think any contributors disagree.

I think everyone also agrees that the decision to depart on return flight was a very bad one, and not to divert much earlier was a fatal one.

As to weather it was illegal or not, seems to me a bit spurious, it was simply bad airmanship. When driving a car some activities are illegal but not dangerous or stupid. And some activities are stupid / reckless but not illegal. The point I make is that just because it may or may not be legal to do something does not make it a good idea.

For me the real story is who was the PIC, for which no one can provide the answer.

But more importantly is the lessons that can be learnt from the circumstances that lead to the first flight ever departing and the implications for the return flight.This forum is not a court of law and should not be some sort of witch hunt but non prejudicial discussion will help many to learn some valuable lessons, even if the scenarios suggested are not necessarily what happened in this case. As probably none of us actual know.