PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mode S (Split From Air Arann Thread)
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2008, 19:36
OLNEY 1 BRAVO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Liffy 2A - if you read my previous posts you will see that I have made it very clear that I'm not talking about the Squawk - I am under no illusion that an aircraft would be allowed in UK airspace with the wrong Squawk. I am well aware of the implications of such an error.

I am also not talking about the flight data recorder. This has nothing to do with flight sims either!

As I've tried to explain, an SBS box interrogates the S band of S band equipped transponders. It will pick up the individual hex code allocated to that aircraft and if a flight number has been entered then it picks that up to. As SBS boxes can't pick up aircraft that don't have S band transponders and as Aer Arann aircraft can be picked I can only assume that some, if not all of your aircraft are equipped with S band transponders.

Furthermore, my understanding is that a the CAA have put off the mandatory introduction of S band, it is not a requirement (yet) for the correct flight numbers to be entered.

I am sure that a member in ATC or somebody flying an aircraft with an S band equipped transponder can add more details.