PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How important is a University degree?
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2008, 18:03
UniFlyBoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having completed a degree in Aviation Technology with pilot studies and got a PPL at the same time, I have to say I am not sure of the benefit of doing a degree now (apart from the uni experience and making new mates) . Much of this is due to the fact that the degree I did at Leeds just did not come up to expectations, the best bits are very good, the flying training was very good (despite the usual frustrations and delays plus the extra cost) and the lectures taught by outside professionals and guest speakers which at least give you an insight about aviation that the uni lecturers cannot. The bad bits were very bad, many of the lecturers lack any kind of ability to communicate (in English yet alone about the subject) and most of what you study in the earlier years has nothing much to do with aviation, bit of a con, apart from aviation tech and aircraft performance which are the only ones I can remember as being any good and which I enjoyed. At least I saved a few quid on the cost of a PPL thanks to the taxpayer, but now have a student debt round my neck as more training to pay for as well.