PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blackpool 3/2/07
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2008, 17:55
HappyFran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wirlygig,

I guess I am in the fortunate position now of looking to build some hours. I am very low hours so need to gain lots of experience.
For me, I can book an aircraft, if the weather is looking good I can do a bit of cross country. If OK at departure, but some doubt further a field I can do circuits …my PFL has plenty of room for improvement at moment. So no good reason to push any marginal thoughts.

I fly out of Bournemouth and Old Sarum and have a great deal of respect for the instructors and ground staff at both locations, I have a great tendency to seek guidance / discuss with them my flight plans and greatly appreciate there input. There is no way on this earth I would not take there advise if they were to suggest that perhaps my plan was not the best idea. I know I may be PIC but any advise in the negative would be gratefully received and acted upon.

So far the only time I was a bit pissed off , was at ~ 40 hours and doing my cross country solo. Bournemouth – touch and go Cardiff – land Exeter – Bournemouth. Weather looked fine, ~ 10 miles short of Cardiff. bl..dy great cloud bank….it should have been up in Wales …it always rains in Wales not in Bristol Channel. So turned around and came home. Got some solo time but meant I would go over 45 hours to PPL. It was pure ego wanting to do minimum hours and a bit of cost I suppose. But micro warning to me of not to get irritated about something that is not that important.

Most PPL flying should be for fun, should not have intransient deadlines or imaginary targets (particularly with UK WX). So why take any chances at all