PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tail Wheel Tips ???
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2008, 15:53
Jetscream 32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have four digit expereince in tailwheels and unitil recently had my own super cub - that i wish i had never sold - boo hoo - and i also have lots of hours on Citabria's - they do a magnificent flick roll......... anyway - for starters at the start of the take off roll i never allowed fellow pilots to have the stick fully forward, i used to get them to have it if fully aft then after about 3 - 5 seconds after brake release then progressively get the tail up - the reason for it was that you have much greater rudder / tail wheel authority compared with getting the tail straight up in the air with minimal ground speed and weather cocking - however with all taildraggers you must listen to them as they all tell you when they want to go flying and very few of them are difficult to fly, you must remember to use your feet, you must think when taxying and always have aileron into wind and stick fully forward when taxying downwind etc, and never ever be too afraid to shut it down and push it back after landing if it is too gusty - sloppy pilots that fly out of balance or without co-ordination will have a hard time in a tailwheel - however once you have polished your skills and mastered the 3 point and wheeler landing, full sideslip approaches and STOL techniques you will never get near a tricycle again - they are undoubtedly the best type of flying machine invented - but i am a little biased flying the Stearman..... bring on the sunshine........!