PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bad flying? Stupid? or bad luck?
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2008, 09:20
pithblot

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Current hands-on instrument flying is the solution to the problem. And it is a whole lot easier to get this today in the computer age....FlightSim04. ...$70... put it on your lap-top and practice limited panel in a 172 til your heart's content. Fly a glass PC12 if you like or a B200. You can add some wind, some turbulence, a few failures - it's very good, very realistic and will improve your instrument flying skills.

With FS04 available there is no excuse for any pilot carrying passengers not to have reasonable instrument flying skills, including limited panel. Every operator (including VFR only) ought to provide this facility and encourage their crew to stay in I/F practice, even if it can't be logged. They don't even need a huge C&T department - just ask any 10 year old how to get started.

If you have made the trip up north and have done the hard yards you may well have a log book full of hours in some nice aeroplanes...be careful....if your only I/F is to sneak through IRT, Base and Route Checks every year it's likely your I/F skills are more rusty than you would like. There is almost no I/F to be had in the Dry season (and it's not made up for by flying in the Wet) so I/F skills suffer. Lots of experienced pilots fall into this trap and "most of us are like the rest of us".

The skill deficit becomes evident under pressure - for example in Sim sessions and endorsement training. When you want to be learning something new (or deal with an emergency) your head space is taken up just trying to do the basics (fly I/F)....something has to give.... unless you have found a way to maintain current hands-on instrument flying practice, which you can do with 70 bucks and a lap top

Cheers,

PITHBLOT

Last edited by pithblot; 2nd May 2008 at 09:32.