PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates Airlines . Check this out.
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2008, 06:57
Wizofoz

Location: Boldly going where no split infinitive has gone before..
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
Scooter,

Like many EK whingers you can predict some great exodus all you like. The simple fact is we have had largely one-way traffic from Aus airlines to EK. Some who have been here a while and set themselves up are going to V-aus, but we are talking low double figures. Flew with an old friend the other day who gave up a Command at VB to come as an FO (not even accelerated).

little more reward than a 737 driver at VB.....
SIMPLY NOT TRUE:-

EK FOs are getting around 24-27K/ mth dirhams after flight pay. That's 7-9K aussie clear. IFR a VB FO grosses 120K for the year (and most of them don't) that's around 6900/th after tax.

Now lets look at the package:-

Housing- EK pilot- FREE
VB Pilot. Sydney accomodation (Mortgage, rent or return on investment) MINIMUM $1500/mth

Utilities- EK Pilot- FREE
VB Pilot, around 1000 mth?

Education EK Pilot- Varies, but my kids go to a very good UK school and the co-payment is negligable
VB Pilot - Either cough up to live in a good suburb with a reasnoble state school, or pay private school fees (10-20K/ yr?)

Now let's talk cheap cars, very cheap petrol, medical, staff travel, bonus payments etc. etc.

To get the same net benefit in Australia as I do as a second year EK captain, paying tax and having all the above expenses coming from post-tax income, I would jhave to earn well in excess of 300K/ yr in Australia.

People have very valid reasons for both leaving EK and not coming in the first place. Dubai is way different, foriegn, hot and the driving is terrible. The work doesn't suit everyone and many families (particualrly spouses) find it hard to adjust.

However, arguing that it's "Not much better" financially than the current climate in Aus is simply false.