PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAR PPL Exams
Thread: JAR PPL Exams
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2000, 02:48
EvoFlyer

Talking JAR PPL Exams

Hi all, just registered on pprune and glad to see a forum for ppls and students (like me at 50 odd hours and just starting my cross country nav flying)

I would be interested to hear how any other students who are training at a recognised FTO have been getting on in respect of their exams. Basically, I'm confronted with the situation that none of the instructors are apparently allowed to know whats in the exam papers (specifically, no-one knows whats in the flight planning exam !). I don't mean word for word, but having just passed the Nav exam, I was surprised to find a section on radio nav aids. (I passed most of those questions only because I have an interest also in Amateur Radio and the questions were mainly radio specific)

Some people might say, well its in the syllabus. But I spent perhaps too much time using the AFE Q&A book (supposed to be JAR compliant), and none of the 10 test papers for the Nav section had any questions on radio nav aids. So I didn't bother reading up on the radio nav section beforehand.

My point is that the instructors should point these things out to you, but they apparantly can't do so because they are not allowed to. Has anyone similar or related experiences? I would be particularly interested to hear about the flight planning exam, though not question specific of course !

Regards