PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EUROPA MOTOR GLIDER
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2001, 20:27
highwingloader

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post EUROPA MOTOR GLIDER

I have been keen to acquire my own aeroplane (probably sharing with no more than 3 others) for some time. Inevitably, I want to keep the costs down and so serious IFR cruisers are not on my radar.

I looked at a couple of Luscombes but I couldn't bring myself to buy something that was even older than I was. Battered old 152s also failed to appeal as I do value being on this planet.

I recently read a report about the Europa motor glider. I have to say, I was very impressed. It seemed to offer the combination of things I was looking for. New and shared between 4, you are looking at about 10 grand a piece. Quite affordable. Not bad for a brand new aeroplane. 2.2 gph and 130kt cruise also looked good. 1100fpm with the engine on and a 27:1 glide ratio with the engine off also appeared impressive.

Does anyone have any experience of this type? I realise that they come in 10,000 pieces and constructing the thing would represent a serious challenge but, as the nights draw in, I can't help dreaming about what could be, next summer.

Any thoughts?