PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Westjet medical requirements
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2008, 23:57
flaps2billion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About the hours and experience issue...a funny one that is! I am a Canadian pilot flying in Europe and I have to agree with Skydrol Leak. I also began my career in the bush in Canada, flown floats, etc. got my "thousands of hours", and now fly a large aircraft in Europe. A lot of my F/O's have WELL under 1500 hrs. TT, some even 250 TT, and they fly incredibly well. (Yes, hand-fly as well). The argument regarding "autopilot on at 1500 AGL...off at 500" etc. perhaps applies to some, but certainly not all. Our machines have a basic wing-leveller used during cruise, otherwise it's all hand flying, with analog instrumentation. We fly a 53-ton 4-engine turboprop from the 1950's...fly raw-data approaches to minima into busy european hubs...these pilots are incredibly proficient. I agree that hours are valuable and experience is important, but it doesn't make you a better pilot. I've flown with many 10,000 hr guys who fly much worse than some 1,000 hr guys...I think we all have.
Having completed both, European training is far more difficult and intense than any training in Canada. I would never suggest that European pilots are better than Canadian, but I believe it's wrong to claim that Canadian pilots are better just because of their hours and their "north of 60" experience...trust me, a Canadian guy would get just as flustered flying into London Heathrow during peak hours as a European guy would flying in northern Canada. It's just about what you're used to...and these guys are good at what they do, I see it every day.
What about when **** hits the fan? Judgement? Decision making? Your telling me that the 250TT wonders are an exceptions?

Remember guys that these machines are not perfect. They run perfectly most of the time, but what about that special moment where the Captain is knocked out & something is wrong with the airplane......200 hour wonder to the rescue?

Hand skills is just a part of being a pilot........decision making is priceless! Simulators don't teach it!