PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Epilepsy - looking for advice in respect of my Daughter
Old 1st May 2008, 23:17
DX Wombat

Location: The Burrow, N53:48:02 W1:48:57, The Tin Tent - EGBS, EGBO
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exeng, I'm not going to offer any further advice on the subject of your daughter's epilepsy as plenty of good advice has already been offered.
Do you let your Daughter continue to catch trains to and from cental London Daily - or do you persuade her to give up the only decent job she has had. Bearing in mind she is an adult and can do exactly as she pleases ...............
As a parent I am stumped, and very worried for my Daughters future.
As a parent you will never stop worrying about your child whether or not that child has a medical problem. I'm sure you want the best for her but sometimes the child's choice is not the one which the parent would make. Ask yourself this question; If I were told today that I had a possibly life-limiting disease would I want to make the most of the time available to me and live it to the full but in doing so maybe risking shortening it but nonetheless thoroughly enjoying myself, or would I be overcautious, not doing things I like in case they shortened my life by a few hours and risk becoming a real misery in the process? It takes a special sort of selflessness and courage on the part of a parent to sit back and accept the child's decision without criticism and continue to provide any necessary support. I hope you will have the strength to do that. It won't be easy, far from it, but, should the worst come to the worst, you will have given her exactly what she wanted and needed - the freedom to live and enjoy her own life as she wished. I wish you all well and hope for the best possible outcome for all of you.