PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2008, 16:37
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Don't Hang Up
If such a relatively unexeptional approach profile can cause this problem, why are B777s not dropping like flies?
I think the point being made is NOT so much about the descent profile but the exceptionally low temperatures that were encountered in the cruise. Many other AC encountering the same cold air mass had to drop height. Some people are considering that the extended cold soak of the fuel was then met by icing conditions during the descent.

Which is why this one-off event is so perplexing. There may well be guidance from the AAIB and manufacturers, there may well have to be another five years elapse before it happens again and more data is captured. It may never happen again.

obie2
Assuming 180 kts average over 4nm= 80 secs.
The 50 seconds I read was quoted earlier in this thread but, as I recall, not more than 60 seconds elapsed from loss of power to ground contact. Thinking time for a unique event that no one had ever encountered before? And yet some (I am merely an observer) criticise the crew for not taking out A/P and all sorts of other things. It is thanks to them that we can be discussing data and a very different AAIB problem.