PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safe height to go around?
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2008, 15:36
mm_flynn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SNS3Guppy
If you touch down and find that something has caused a directional control issue, a runway incursion is happening, or something else occurs which requires a go-around, you're going faster on the runway at an earlier point than you would during a normal takeoff. If you have room to takeoff you have room to go around. ...
While I agree that during the touchdown and shortly after all of the above is true and one should be prepared to Go Around, there is definitely a point where this is no longer true. CM's point in the landing roll (i.e. where you have decelerated to the point where the nose wheel would fall to the ground ) or alternatively the point where you have established directional control and commenced deceleration are sensible points where, 'stay on the ground' is a better option (for light GA pilots flying in 'normal' environments once you are below about 70% of Vr your distance to stop is likely to be less than your distance to clear an obstacle)
Don't get caught up in the mentality that it's better to go off the end. It's not.
I have certainly read a number of fatal accident reports associated with a botched go around from the ground run and very few serious incidents associated with rolling off the end. I can think of almost no event that could happen post my decision point above where you would be better off going around (horses on the field, runway incursion, etc, are all either immaterial in that you will stop before them or have dramatically reduced your TORA so where you are relative to a normal takeoff is irrelevant).

If you're going to go off the end when stopping, you've already made very serious mistakes, and the subject of going around is really irrelevant.
Quite agree with the first half- but why compound one cr@p decision with potentially another (that is a late decision to take-off again).