PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Please listen out before transmitting!
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2008, 12:14
Double Zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just as a point of interest ( maybe ! ) this problem is common on small boat VHF too, where inexperienced / nervous or plain inconsiderate people grab the microphone and just jabber away...

Obviously boats and their problems happen slower than with aircraft - though getting out of trouble is slow too - but in ridiculously busy areas like the Solent, the Coastguard have suffered a major sense of humour failure and for instance usually won't answer 'radio checks' anymore.

This of course could be counter-productive for the odd genuine person who really needs it ! We're supposed to check with our chums now, but that's not as sophisticated as the CG kit.

In quieter areas like the West Country the CG are able to be a lot more helpful, but I sympathise with the Solent team.

An aside -I remember flying with a VERY good and experienced pilot in a light aircraft ( he was highly experienced with jet fighters in harsh environments ) - when being passed from one ATC to another he had to call the original ATC back as he'd missed the frequency, which was rather quickly & automatically read out to him, there wasn't a chance of taking notes etc.

I wonder if there is a system to display or automatically go to the frequency required, on more sophisticated aircraft at least ?